Sunday, July 6, 2008

Breakfast?

Two chocolate glazed donut holes and a lone banana was breakfast this cheery morning.

The donut holes were at just the right consistency--not too moist, not too dry. They yielded to the tooth but didn't fall apart. They absorbed saliva but didn't dry the mouth. I began to waken. There is nothing like a little chocolate in the morning. It buoys the spirits.

The lone banana's yellow peel was peppered with brown spots. Anyone could see that it was past its prime but not quite old. It was well into the autumn years of banana life. For a moment, I considered tossing it in the trash but decided against it. There was something desperate and pining in its neglected appearance. Holding it over the wastebasket, I felt a pang of conscience at my wasteful humanity. This banana was like some pathetic girl who draws your pity. Both need love too. So I consumed, but I did not enjoy. I glanced down at my watch. It read 11:25AM.

I wonder what I'll be having for lunch?

No comments: