Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Nocturnal Mocker


Your unpredictability makes me paranoid,
Nocturnal Mocker,
And each night I wonder
If you'll be lurking between my sheets.
You show your baggy wan face
At the ugliest of hours.

You're here tonight of all nights,
Challenging me to restless battle.
I close my eyes, but I know you're there.
I feel you in the back of my mind,
Teasing my exhaustion,
Making light of my cranky discomfort,
Brandishing your caffeinated spear.

Unwanted houseguest!
You are not welcome here.
Begone with you!
You alert child!
Out! Out! Out!
I will not fight you!
Leave and find some other prey!

And yet you remain.
My rage falls impotent.
No force of emotion can dislodge you.
I can only struggle to forget you,
But this is like climbing Everest.

So stay,
Nocturnal Mocker,
And perhaps your triumph will be bittersweet.

I have yet two strong warriors,
And they don't take kindly to active intruders.

You may win the war,
But tonight is mine,
I will own these last few hours,
Your ranks will stagger,
And be massacred.

But your blooded remains will linger,
Deep, deep within my shorn heart.
Patiently awaiting the sun's demise,
And fatigue's weakening reincarnation.










No comments: